The Earth Skills Correspondence Course is a ten block course that leads students through the skills of wilderness survival, in your own bioregion. It emphasizes the mastery of shelter, water, fire, camp skills, plants and trees, cooking, safety & hazards, attitude & philosophy and instructor training. Ricardo Sierra mentors the course through e-mail, this blog and a private Facebook Group, and students are self-guided. The course provides a wealth of skills and a powerful foundation from which to build and grow in any personal or wilderness study direction.
Get more information about this learning tool here: The Earth Skills Correspondence Course

Thursday, April 3, 2014

The Origin Story of the Earth Skills Correspondence Course

I made this video last fall and then uploaded it to YouTube, and then got really busy with my summit, so I didn't get a chance to share about it on this blog, so I thought I would post this for you all, just to let you check it out, and hear how we got started with it and all.   

My bottom line is all about helping people gain strong skills in a way that works with their lives.   And with things being the way they are these days, I know a lot of people don't have the time to travel to classes, or when they do take a class, they don't always know what to do afterwards to keep moving forward.   So, this program still can be a huge help.



I also did another video about getting through the resistance that comes up when we try to start working towards our goals, and then we get stuck, and before we know it, a week or a month goes by and we aren't on track again....    



I promise to keep working to make more videos and get their quality up, but in most cases, I just really don't want to take weeks trying to make them perfect and just keep moving forward myself.   Perfectionism is a huge problem for me personally, because I start to want to make everything so good, so that I won't have to worry if people will be critical or dislike what I have written or shared, and I think if it is perfect, it will protect me from their opinions.   But the bottom line is, there are always people out there who have different opinions, and there are always people who will disagree with me, so I had to just ask myself, "Am I going to let this stop me from doing what I want to do?"   

There is nothing that will protect me from critical people.   Or people who just think differently.   I mean, yes, some people can be really mean and say stuff that can come across as pretty hurtful, but I decided that I can't let that stop me.    I used to have people that made fun of me for being into nature and wilderness skills.   I mean, there were people who were merciless, seriously, and I laughed along with them, just because I didn't want to let them see that it bothered me.  But it did make me question myself at times.   I could also see how what I was doing at times could seem pretty weird or funny to others, also, and I could also see how my doing something different could be threatening to them as well.   But either way, I learned a lot about "Other People's Opinions."

However, when I was in the woods, and in a good, centered place, I felt completely different.   I realized that their opinions were just that.   They didn't have that power over me to stop me from doing what I love.   Or doing what I felt in my heart was the right thing to do.   So I just learned to let go of that fear that not everyone is going to love what I am all about.   And that's okay.

I still don't like how I look or sound on video, and I am super critical of myself, but I'm working on letting go of that, and also at the same time, trying to get better.   So, perhaps someday I will be able to look back at these old videos and laugh about it, and enjoy the 'old school' stuff and feel good about how far I have come.  We will see, I guess!

Anyway, I am not sure how this post went from being about the Origin of the ESCC to working through fear, or whatever, but anyway, enjoy the videos and let me know what you think!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice work, Rick. I see you growing outward and upward, sharing your gifts with many who will benefit. Keep up the good work! Steve

Ricardo Sierra said...

Thanks, Steve! I appreciate your support...